Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service

Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service 11 years, 6 months ago #45

As of version 1.4.0, POP Collector can now install itself as a service, so long as the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools are installed (downloadable from Microsoft).

Note that this method has been tested in: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2003, Windows 2008.

To install as a service:

- Start POP Collector.
- Tools... Install Service...
- You will get confirmation that the service installed if the operation is successful.

To remove the service, you can use the Remove Service menu link.

If installed this way as opposed to manual installation using srvany, POP Collector can detect if the service is running when it is started. This means that you can open the UI to make configuration changes, and the service will automatically be stopped on load. Once you have made the changes, the service will be started again when you exit POP Collector. This overcomes the irritation of having to stop and restart the service manually to pick up any config changes.
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by purplepomegranite.

Re:Windows 2003 - run as service 11 years, 3 months ago #252

• noccie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

Does the install path of either exchange / POP Collector or the Windows Support Tools have any influence on the functioning of the "install as a service" option?

My config is as follows:

Exchange installed on D: (with stores on E:)
POP Collector programm installed on D:
Windows Support Tools installed on C: (used to be on D:)

And I keep getting the message:

Window title: "Required files missing"

Text displayed above "OK" button: "Please download and install Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools for this functionality to work"

Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated

PS: thanks for a wonderfull product

Re:Windows 2003 - run as service 11 years, 3 months ago #253

The installation path of POP Collector will make no difference. Currently, however, the support tools need to be installed to the default location - POP Collector checks the %PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ folder for instsrv.exe. It shouldn't matter which drive %PROGRAMFILES% is on though - so long as the environment variable to it is set correctly.

To find out where POP Collector is looking, try opening a command prompt and typing:

echo %programfiles%

Re:Windows 2003 - run as service 10 years, 8 months ago #692

• puks
  • Fresh Boarder
Windows 2000 server

I created folder "Windows Resource Kits\Tools" under "C:\Program Files" and copied there instsrv.exe and srvany.exe

echo %programfiles% returns "C:\Program Files"

The Tools menu for services are still grey out.

Thanks

Re:Windows 2003 - run as service 10 years, 8 months ago #693

The option will only become enabled on Windows XP and Windows 2003. This is because it hasn't been tested on other versions of Windows (and definitely won't work with later versions).

If you want to try it with Windows 2000, I've attached a version that will enable the option on Windows 2000 as well. Once installed, just overwrite your POP Collector.exe with the attached.

Please post back as to whether it works or not - if it does, I can include this in the release version.

File Attachment:

File Name: POPCollector.zip
File Size: 149666
Attachments:

Re:Windows 2003 - run as service 10 years, 8 months ago #694

• puks
  • Fresh Boarder
It works! Thank you.

If you add SSL support to POP Collector it will be great.

Re:Windows 2003 - run as service 10 years, 8 months ago #695

Thanks for letting me know, I'll include the change in the next update.

There is unlikely to be SSL support in POP Collector due to the complexities of writing an SSL layer in VB6. I haven't the time to write my own implementation, and I am not aware of any third party tools or utilities that offer this facility for free (and I won't be paying for any of these as POP Collector makes me no money!!). If anyone does know of an SSL component or similar that I could incorporate (that won't cost me anything!), then I would be happy to take a look - but that is the only way PC will get SSL support.

There will be SSL support in EmerSMTP. There isn't a release date for this yet - and there will be a small charge once it is released (though the charge will be hugely lower than any similar offerings). EmerSMTP is taking time as it is a fully fledged mail-server as well as gateway/forwarder.

Re: Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service 7 years, 8 months ago #2010

• focus
  • Fresh Boarder
Hiya

Ive got the same problem, when i go to tools and install as a service is greyed out

but the operating system windows 2008 r2,

help!!

Re: Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service 7 years, 2 months ago #2054

• youvedone
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd moved POP Collector from a 2008R2 Server, where "run as service" worked great, to a Windows 2012 Server. There ist the install as service option greyed out.

Re: Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service 7 years, 1 month ago #2056

• andy0789
  • Fresh Boarder
For Windows 2008 R2 I just copied the instsrv.exe and srvany.exe from the Windows 2003 resource pack to C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 on the 2008 R2 server. This worked to install it as a service on 2008 R2.

Re: Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service 6 years, 1 month ago #5165

• preid
  • Fresh Boarder
I never did get the Install Service option to work, no matter where I copied the resource pack tools to (SYSWOW64 or %programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools) on Windows Server 2012 R2.

In the end, I ended up installing the service manually using the resource kit tools, then creating a little batch file that stops the service, runs POP Collector (so I can edit settings), then starts the service again after. It's a little clunky, but it works well enough for the odd time I'll need to mess with it after it's initially configured.

It seems to work well, which saves me a bunch of headaches moving from SBS 2003 to Exchange 2013 (which has no remote POP collection capabilities).

I'll be donating some money as soon as the server is in production.

Thanks!

Re: Windows 2003 and 2008 - run as service 5 years ago #5850

• smarek
  • Fresh Boarder
I finally got it working...

I installed the 3002 Ressource Kit and copied the "POPCollector.exe" to a new "PCService.exe" ... then the "install Service"-Menu is enabled and installed successfully!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Copyright © 2009 www.cedit.biz. All rights reserved.