blocking domains aint working
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: blocking domains aint working

blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #169

joomla 1.5.9
no other registration or security programs enabled
installed fine, yes it is enabled

was using Jlord registration blocker but that doesnt appear to work either so disabled it

adding domains to admin section works fine
newly added domains can be seen as blocked in admin

blocked domains can still register

checked out cedit_blockdisposable.php and newly added domains aren't listed, chmod 644

checked out editdisposable.php and same again, newly added domains not listed, chmod 644

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #170

When you have made modifications to the domain block list, they are stored in the database, not the php file. The php file only contains the default list. If you can see all the domains in the administrator back-end, then they are there ok.

I do not know why the plug-in doesn't work, but you are the second person to report exactly the same problem.

I've attached a debug version of the plug-in. If you install it, it will show debug info at the top of the page (it may be a bit messy, but it is only to get info out of Joomla to debug).

If you can install the debug plugin, then let me know the values given (they will be option and task) on the registration screen, then that may shed some more light.]
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by purplepomegranite.

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #171

Strange, all I get is

Debug info:
option=
task=

and thats it.

I am running legacy mode if that makes a difference ?

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #172

Is that on the registration page?

I have a test Joomla site. The registration page is: test.cedit.biz/index.php?option=com_user&task=register

It is completely standard with just the debug plugin installed. On the registration screen the variables should be:

option=com_user
task=register

Are yours not the same on this page? If not, that is the issue, the only question is why. This site has the plugin installed, and legacy mode enabled, so that isn't an issue.

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #173

Debug info:
option=
task=register

www.tracingequines.co.uk/horses/component/user/?task=register

I've got SEF url switched on

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #174

Ok, so one variable is correct. Wonder why the other isn't...

Attached is another debug version (though I have commented out the debug info). This one only checks for the one variable (task), which is the one that is being shown on your site.

Try it and let me know if it solves the problem. Hopefully it will - I do not know why some Joomla installations should act differently.

I also have SEF switched on, so again that shouldn't be the problem...
Last Edit: 11 years, 2 months ago by purplepomegranite.

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #175

Installed that one, added gmail.com to be blocked and just had a gmail.com member register

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #180

and another spam registered, this time mail.ru

Re:blocking domains aint working 11 years, 2 months ago #187

Just to let you know, I am still looking into this. Unfortunately it is made rather more difficult by not being able to replicate the issue.

I am trying to find an alternative method of checking whether the user is registering.

Re:blocking domains aint working 10 years, 11 months ago #343

• carmanml
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm having the same issue. I followed the instructions on the thread, and I'm not running SEF. Any ideas?

Re:blocking domains aint working 10 years, 11 months ago #344

hi carmanml

I scrapped using the "Block Disposable Email Address" and went with "ChronoForms" instead.

ChronoForms have been extremely helpful, every single question and query on their forums are answered, even my stupid questions, lol.

Can highly recommend them as since using their system for registering, I've not had any spammers join the website. I use their system for the "Contact Us" form as well and no spam sent on that either.

cally6008

Re:blocking domains aint working 10 years, 11 months ago #345

As I can't replicate the issue, it is impossible for me to find out what is causing it. I can only presume it is down to some other setting that you have set within Joomla that hasn't been mentioned - this site uses SEF and numerous other extensions and Block Disposable works fine.

If it doesn't work for you, I'm glad you've found something else that does. I provide my Joomla extensions free to the community and provide support where able - but this is all in my spare time and if I don't have time to look at certain issues due to having to work for a living, then such is life.

Very few people have reported this issue, and until someone can actually tell me how to replicate it, I will be unable to find the issue. I have tried clean installs on three sites trying to replicate it, and it hasn't occurred.

Re:blocking domains aint working 10 years, 11 months ago #346

• JDaniels
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!

I just troubleshooted about two hours why on my site, system plugins like yours, that influence registration blocking, do not work.
I think I found the reason. JRequest::getVar(...) returns emtpy values when using search engine friendly names using mod_rewrite.

I just wrote a quick debugging plugin with:

function onAfterInitialise()
{
echo "Option". JRequest::getVar('option' );
}

Result: When using mod_rewrite just 'Option' is shown, when turning off, 'Option: com_user' etc. is shown.

JRequest::getURI() is set and returns the SEO URI without hostname. Maybe you can use this to match.

Hope you get it fixed, since I like the idea. Maybe you can include botscout.com/code.htm to prevent bot registration, too.
Last Edit: 10 years, 11 months ago by JDaniels.

Re:blocking domains aint working 10 years, 11 months ago #347

Thank-you, that gives me enough information to look into the issue again!

Strange thing is, I was pretty sure that this site also used mod_rewrite for the SEF URLs, but this may not be the case since it's move to a new server.

I'll do some more investigation over the weekend, and should also be able to finalise the next release of this plugin (which includes IP and username blocking as well).

Re:blocking domains aint working - Solved!? 10 years, 11 months ago #348

• JDaniels
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi!

I studied some manuals and documents. In a documentation about system-events I found this description:

System
onAfterInitialise: called after framework load
onAfterRoute: called when joomla already knows which tasks to solve

This means, instead of hooking onAfterInitialise, you hook onAfterRoute. Then joomla has internally resolved SEO links to internal links and the JRequest-vars are set.

It's just a change of one word (other event handler) and your plugin works like it should.

As next I try to extend it with botscout-api.

Happy, coding!

JD

Re:blocking domains aint working - Solved!? 10 years, 11 months ago #349

Well, I couldn't ask for more. Not only have you identified the issue, you've given me the fix! I'll incorporate it ASAP and release with the other updates.

Out of interest, where did you find those docs? I used the Joomla 1.5 API docs and in the part I was looking at (which described how plugins should be written and which events they should trap), there was no mention of that event, or indeed much useful description - just an example plug-in!

Thanks again.

Re:blocking domains aint working - Solved!? 10 years, 11 months ago #350

• JDaniels
  • Fresh Boarder
I found the hint in a german eBook about joomla.

Was a pleasure to help you.

Re:blocking domains aint working - Solved!? 10 years, 11 months ago #351

Guess I'd better brush up on my German then!

I've also had a look at Botscout. It looks interesting and definitely a feature that could be incorporated in this plugin. I'll download the examples and see what I can do.

Re:blocking domains aint working - Solved!? 10 years, 11 months ago #352

• JDaniels
  • Fresh Boarder
I made a working version with BotScout integration.

I quickly checked all three cases:

• valid email address
  • disposable email address
  • valid but BS blacklisted email address

At the moment it works like expected. Maybe you can test it, too.

BTW: trash-mail.de has been replaced by trash-mail.com
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years, 11 months ago by JDaniels. Reason: New file

Re:blocking domains aint working - Solved!? 10 years, 11 months ago #353

• JDaniels
  • Fresh Boarder
I missed the file

File Attachment:

File Name: cedit_blockdisposable.zip
File Size: 8072
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Copyright © 2009 www.cedit.biz. All rights reserved.