Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Works fantastic!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Works fantastic!

Works fantastic! 10 years, 2 months ago #281

Just wanted to say that it works great.
I tried Jlord registration plug-in but it seems not effectively to block domain names.

Thanks.

Re:Works fantastic! 9 years, 7 months ago #731

• Ecce
  • Fresh Boarder
can only echo the words above (or below depending on your board settings lol).

My site has been getting more and more bad registrations recently and I've been looking for ways of combatting them in one plugin rather than several. I already use recaptcha and admin approval but think this will make my site about as secure as possible.

Simple to install and got my logs working easily.

Thank-you team!

Re:Works fantastic! 8 years, 11 months ago #1387

• ogd-ucc
  • Fresh Boarder
Thx for the pop 2 exchange. I'm using it for 1 company now and I'm going to use it for another company. I'll ask them to donate some money. One of them will surely agree. Thx again. I can now uninstall GFI mailessentials (pop2exchange)

Re:Works fantastic! 8 years, 11 months ago #1388

• ogd-ucc
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 8 years, 11 months ago by ogd-ucc. Reason: double post

Re:Works fantastic! 8 years, 8 months ago #1516

• michalkopl
  • Fresh Boarder
Works like a charm. Guys thanks a lot. I have just started developing new site, and even like that, I have already received several bot's registrations. I hope, this will teach them a lesson (or two).

Thank you very much and have a great day

Re: Works fantastic! 8 years, 5 months ago #1694

• meneldur
  • Fresh Boarder
jeejeestudio wrote:
Just wanted to say that it works great.

+1 here.
RV rocks. Now I'll haver a better time with those annoying bots unable to register in my sites.

Re: Works fantastic! 7 years, 11 months ago #1889

• zamrai
  • Fresh Boarder
I would like to thank you guys for this magnificent piece of code
Some time ago I didn't even care about all this spam-protecion thing because what I got was several spambot's registration a week.
This changed like two days ago when I felt like attacked by several hundred false user's registration a day! Most from China.
I did a fast research which brought me to your project. I added some mails to banlist which helped greatly to decrease the spam.
Still, I did get lots of mail notifications about "blank" users registered (although they were not in userbase) like this: name: - mail: - etc. After analysing server logs I found them basterds IP's and banned them in your RV options.

Now things are calm again and I can continue to run my website about cinema which is 100% non-profit but this is thanks to guys like you, who offer some free pieces of code, what makes all things possible. Thank you!
Last Edit: 7 years, 11 months ago by zamrai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonno

Re: Works fantastic! 7 years, 10 months ago #1893

• jonno
  • Fresh Boarder
zamrai wrote:
I would like to thank you guys for this magnificent piece of code
Some time ago I didn't even care about all this spam-protecion thing because what I got was several spambot's registration a week.
This changed like two days ago when I felt like attacked by several hundred false user's registration a day! Most from China.
I did a fast research which brought me to your project. I added some mails to banlist which helped greatly to decrease the spam.
Still, I did get lots of mail notifications about "blank" users registered (although they were not in userbase) like this: name: - mail: - etc. After analysing server logs I found them basterds IP's and banned them in your RV options.

Hi

Re those blank emails, when you said: you banned the IPs by looking on the server logs...

How did you do this? Where are the server logs? In cPanel? Where?

This would need to be done for every IP ever time I get one of those blank emails? I am still getting 30+ a day.

Or can I block a range? Anyone know the IP range for russia or china?

I saw the banned domains function too, but noticed a '.' In front of the default banned domains... One spammer I saw was 21cn.com, should I add '.21.com'?

Those blank emails are just as annoying as the real ones so this plugin hasn't really helped, or maybe I am just using it wrongly.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Re: Works fantastic! 7 years, 10 months ago #1894

I don't know what could be causing blank emails - certainly this isn't something I have experienced. If you need to check that RV is working ok, please enable logging. This will show exactly what RV is doing and who is blocked. If set-up correctly, RV really should cut down spam significantly. If you are still getting a significant amount, then it is likely to be not working or misconfigured. Also, if you use custom registration, ensure that the component you are using is supported. If it isn't, let me know and I'll try to add support. There are a couple of new components I have on the list now, so I'll be looking into these over the next week or so and will release an update.

This site is my main test bed for it (the latest version is always installed on this site). This year I have only had one spam posting (there were a few, but still only a handful).

Re: Works fantastic! 7 years, 10 months ago #1895

• jonno
  • Fresh Boarder
purplepomegranite wrote:
I don't know what could be causing blank emails - certainly this isn't something I have experienced. If you need to check that RV is working ok, please enable logging. This will show exactly what RV is doing and who is blocked. If set-up correctly, RV really should cut down spam significantly. If you are still getting a significant amount, then it is likely to be not working or misconfigured. Also, if you use custom registration, ensure that the component you are using is supported. If it isn't, let me know and I'll try to add support. There are a couple of new components I have on the list now, so I'll be looking into these over the next week or so and will release an update.

This site is my main test bed for it (the latest version is always installed on this site). This year I have only had one spam posting (there were a few, but still only a handful).

Thanks.

The emails were the same as described by the other user.

How do I enable and start logging? I just saw a text box to add a logfile name but don't have one.

What about the syntax for blocked domains too?

Re: Works fantastic! 7 years, 10 months ago #1896

Is this RV 1 or RV2 we are talking about? RV2 has loads of documentation including details on setting up logging. While this doesn't exist for RV1 (which is no longer actively supported), there are details in the forums for setting this up.

I didn't realise this was the RV 1 forum, so just to clarify, there aren't any updates due for RV1 (though if others want to update it I'd be happy to host any modifications on the site).

Re: Works fantastic! 7 years, 10 months ago #1897

• jonno
  • Fresh Boarder
purplepomegranite wrote:
Is this RV 1 or RV2 we are talking about? RV2 has loads of documentation including details on setting up logging. While this doesn't exist for RV1 (which is no longer actively supported), there are details in the forums for setting this up.

I didn't realise this was the RV 1 forum, so just to clarify, there aren't any updates due for RV1 (though if others want to update it I'd be happy to host any modifications on the site).

I don't know... I just downloaded a free version callled 1.3.3.zip from this site.

Is that RV1?

Where do I get RV2 and is it free?

Re: Works fantastic! 7 years, 10 months ago #1906

• jonno
  • Fresh Boarder
purplepomegranite wrote:

Hi

Any feedback on this ? I dont know what I have, just the one on the website that is free to download, is that RV1?

I am still getting the blank emails, so many I had to take the register form off altogether! But weirdly I still get them. They look like this:

A new user has registered at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
This email contains their details

Name -
E-mail -
Username -

Please do not respond to this message as it is automatically generated and is for information purposes only

Where do I get RV2?

Is it free or paid?

How do I upgrade from RV1 in Joomla?

Thanks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Copyright © 2009 www.cedit.biz. All rights reserved.