Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

What is the purpose of spam accounts?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is the purpose of spam accounts?

What is the purpose of spam accounts? 8 years, 4 months ago #1851

• peterdeep
  • Fresh Boarder
I have installed your software and it is working as promised, thank you very much. I was hit by a wave of spam accounts from a domain called celebslive.net over the past couple of days and decided it was time to take action against them.

I knew I was getting spam accounts here and there on my little website but didn't worry about them because I couldn't see their purpose. I understand spamming and all that, but there is nothing to be gained or done by setting up an account on my website. There's no special content or function. It's only there because it can be, really, and I do have interested users who want updates from time to time.

My question is, and maybe you can answer this, is why do spammers set up these accounts. What benefit to them could there possibly be? Thanks.

Re: What is the purpose of spam accounts? 8 years, 4 months ago #1852

It's an interesting question. If your site has a forum, then the goal of the spammer is usually clear - it is to post their advertising crap on your site! The surprising thing is that spammers target any site that has a login. However, when thinking about how spammers work, this makes sense... They essentially write software to scour the internet looking for registration pages (and for sites based on popular software such as Joomla, this is very easy). They then register accounts. If they can, they'll then post their advertising... If not, you just end up with a dead account.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole of it is pointless, but then I'm not a spammer. If I see a posting on a forum that looks like spam, I am actually less likely to even think about buying from that site. However, their system obviously works as there are a lot of spammers making a lot of money from automated processes - what we see is the side-effects of these poorly designed and implemented spamming systems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterdeep

Re: What is the purpose of spam accounts? 8 years, 4 months ago #1853

• peterdeep
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. What you said makes perfect sense. I too never click on off-topic spammer links, but I'm not everybody. At any rate, thank you so much for your product, which works wonderfully. I appreciate the peace of mind it's given me. I was always wondering if they could somehow use the account as a back door. Unlikely, but one of my Joomla sites was hacked once (the SQL) and so I'm weary of any bot that can perform any task on my site, even so mundane as creating a login.

Re: What is the purpose of spam accounts? 8 years, 4 months ago #1868

• danymant09
  • Fresh Boarder
I've always have the same question, and thanks to purplepomegranite I understand a little more about this spammers world. Of course not everybody click on those annoying links that are left from spammers, but as peterdeep said, we are not everybody.

Besides, it's not nice to enter a forum and find spam messages specially if you are looking for worth information.

Thanks.
Nuestra pasion? Definitivamente es los niƱos
educacion infantil
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds
Copyright © 2009 www.cedit.biz. All rights reserved.